Liposuction is a great procedure for targeting stubborn fat deposits. People often wonder, however, how safe liposuction is. Even though there are risks associated with any kind of surgical procedure, in recent years, the development of improved techniques have made liposuction safer, easier, and less painful. A few of these newer techniques include:
- Tumescent liposuction. This kind of procedure utilizes a local anesthetic to numb the target area of the body. Then, a large amount of an anesthetic solution containing lidocaine and epinephrine is injected directly into the fatty tissue. The traditional liposuction procedure is then performed. Tumescent liposuction may not require general anesthesia (which makes you sleep through the procedure).
- Ultrasound-assisted liposuction. This technique harnesses the power of ultrasound to liquefy the fat. This technique is especially helpful in targeting fat deposits on the upper abdomen, sides, and back of the body.
- Laser-assisted liposuction. This relatively new technique makes use low-energy waves that liquefy the fat, making it easier to remove through a small cannula.
When liposuction is performed by a board certified plastic surgeon, with the proper equipment and facilities, the risk of complication is low. Having more than one area treated, or having a very large area treated, may increase the risk of complications during or after the procedure. As mentioned earlier, there risks associated with any kind of surgery, but we do our best to keep these risks as minimal as possible.
A few common side effects of liposuction include:
- Temporary bruising, soreness, swelling, and potential numbness in and around the targeted areas.
- Irritation and minor scarring around the incision sites where the cannulas were inserted.
- Baggy or rippling skin. The skin will usually tighten and retract after a few months. But in some people the skin may remain somewhat loose.
If you have questions about the liposuction procedure or would like more information about the safety of liposuction, come in and see us at NuVista Plastic Surgery. Our board certified plastic surgeons can help you determine if liposuction is the right procedure for you and your circumstances.